Science and Social Studies Explorations 5 utilizes instructional videos, online texts, interactive online tools, and an array of other resources combine to present material in a variety of ways. Likewise, students are given opportunity to demonstrate their understanding through various means including, but not limited to, projects, quizzes, reports, Google Drive tools, and video creation.
In this course, students will:
- Alternate instruction between science and social studies topics.
- Identify how living things are classified.
- Determine what cells have to do with our lives.
- Explain how the systems in the human body keep us alive.
- Describe how plants stay alive and produce offspring.
- Recall how the parts of an ecosystem interact and demonstrate an understanding of how changes in habitats affect living things.
- Summarize how water moves through the environment.
- Explain why the weather changes.
- Identify the types of processes that change Earth’s surfaces.
- Discover the importance of conservation of Earth’s resources.
- Determine what makes up everything around us.
- Explore how chemistry forces and motion are used in our daily lives.
- Identify how many types of energy we use each day.
- Model an electric current and how it works.
- Explain how the study of stars has expanded our knowledge of the universe.
- Analyze how the motion of objects in space creates cycles.
- Discuss how technology affects our lives.
- Conduct directed and guided experiments to test and illustrate scientific principles that help create real world connections to the Science content.
- Continue to develop geography skills.
- Examine the Civil War.
- Discover how the United States became a world leader.
Grade 5 Science Kit